Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
WryCuda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,885Gear list
Like?
Anybody Like Windows 8.1?
8 months ago

Today I helped a friend set up a new computer with Windows 8.1. Seems like a half-hearted attempt at a touch-screen OS; luckily I was soon able to revert to the Desktop mode.

What was MS thinking? The only reason that I was able to make much sense of the Start mode was that I am familiar with the iPad. Seems that the rather curious "Start Button" has now grown to encompass the whole screen.

My friend, previously a Windows XP user, was totally mystified by the whole process of setting up the new computer.

Part of the process involved registering with Microsoft in order to download software; just a little bit like the App Store, don't you think? I was able to quickly progress through this hurdle only because I keep a dormant Hotmail account.

Anyhow, it seems to be working well. An i7 processor with 16Gb RAM doesn't mess around! The all-in-one design of the computer does away with a lot of cabling. Next phase will be transferring email and setting up legacy applications.

Any comments welcome. This is not a PC vs. Apple war; I'm a long-time Windows user.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D7100 Sony a5100
Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow