Sold my DSLR and just got GM1

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
misolo
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
Re: GM1 is an addiction
In reply to AndyMulhearn, 4 months ago

AndyMulhearn wrote:

Ah, now that's where you've lost the plot. There's no way a GM1 is even close in IQ to a 5D let alone a 1D mk III. As for my needing a 7D, well that wasn't the question but anyway, I shoot a lot of wildlife, mainly BIF, and combined with a 400L the 7D is a very good piece of kit for what I do. But then this is just another M4/3 fanboy attempt at diversion by attacking on the questioner rather than the question so I'll move on.

The comparison to the 5DII is indeed a stretch, but the GM1 does get awfully close to the 1DIII (same DR, only half-a-stop behind in SNR):

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GM1-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-1D-Mark-III___920_483_434

Of course, the AF is no match if you're doing, say, sports or fast-moving wildlife. The GM1 does have more accurate AF, however. As for the ergonomics, it's just silly to even compare: completely different cameras for completely different purposes (I use both systems, currently 5DIII and GX7). But the point someone else made above is very valid: once image quality gets to this point, it's not what's going to be limiting your photography. If you need the AF and ergonomics of a DSLR, use that. If you don't, use whatever camera makes you happy, makes your life easier, and that you're most likely to actually take with you. And then use it to put more thought into your photography.

misolo's gear list:misolo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix XP10 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
45mmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow