Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,970Gear list
Like?
Re: WOW what a game changer A7s
In reply to Ontario Gone, 5 months ago

Ontario Gone wrote:

D Cox wrote:...

Noise performance is about total light gathered, and the A7/r and A7s gather the same amount of light.

Noise levels depend on pixel size, so at the same size of sensor and the same ISO setting and the same lens, the lower resolution will give less noise.

You are simply wrong, otherwise the D4 would completely outperform the D800 in noise performance. Everybody here, save you i guess, knows that isn't true. Larger pixels give less noise per pixel, but you still have less overall pixels that make up the file. Viewing at the same size, the larger resolution sensor is effectively downsampled, which will reduce visible noise to equal that of the lower rez sensor.

The point im making has been argued in the sony forum and others for ages. The A77 got a bad rap when it first launched because everybody would judge ISO at pixel level which wasn't fair (24mp vs 16mp).

People have been doing the same thing here on this forum with the Nex-7 ever since its release.  DxO tells the story, though.

Pixel size only matters in video if the file is not originally recorded at full sensor resolution. If it is, the noise performance depends on the sensor size, and in this case that is a factor that isn't changing (A7/r vs A7s). Like i said, if the A7/r uses line skipping for video, the S will be better as it's using more sensor, but for stills there won't likely be any improvement and could even be a step backwards like the A58 was from an A77.

From Sony's press release:

"With a 12.2 effective megapixel count the size of each individual photoreceptive site is significantly boosted to increase their light-gathering power. Coupled with the camera’s powerful BIONZ X processing engine, this reduces image noise while increasing effective sensitivity range of the α7S"

Did you expect them to announce this expensive new product that has no improvement in stills IQ? Sony is famously bad in their downsampling software, it's no wonder they went with a 12mp sensor for their video monster. They aren't just going to admit it's a lesser beast for stills, that might hurt sales. They are selling it, just as i would expect them to.

Really, 12 mp is still plenty of resolution for most use, but more mp is better, if all else were equal.  But it sounds like even for HD, if video is your prime concern, this is worthwhile.  The A7s is sounding more and more like a niche camera; I can't imagine many would buy it, but I know very little about what people would do with video much less 4K.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow