The Sunday BIRD Volume 9, Issue 41, April 6, 2014

Started 8 months ago | Photos thread
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,971Gear list
Like?
Re: Honeyeater, fairy wren, egret
In reply to Suhas Sudhakar Kulkarni, 8 months ago

Suhas Sudhakar Kulkarni wrote:

Thanks, but the field guide shows female with blue tail and the body colour matches female too.

That;s why thought it's female. Do you have a picture differentiating between a female and a juv male?

-- hide signature --

Hi Suhas, I have several guides and they all show and describe the female as having a brown tail.
I have observed this species throughout the year and watched as the male loses his brilliant blue and black breeding colours (spring though summer), leaving only a dull blue tail which he keeps

I can't say that I have ever identified a juv male, however I expect they look like an adult female and in the first spring of their maturity they develop the blue colouring

This picture is of a breeding female from last spring on the NSW south coast - she's collecting nesting materials

and this shot of a male from a few weeks ago - late summer and well into moulting out of his 'superb' colour - but still with his blue tail.

And this was one of his mates who was close by

One of my guides - Michael Morecomb's "Field Guide to Australian Birds" - has this note with his drawings: "eclipse male is like female, but tail is dull blue, bill black, lacks rufous lores".

The bill on your bird looks quite dark - probably another indication that it's a male.

I hope this is helpful.
I look forward to seeing more of your wrens if you can find them again.

Did you know they were voted as our most popular bird ?
http://www.australiasfavouritebird.org.au/

cheers
Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow