Need an advice on prime lens for travel

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Re: Need an advice on prime lens for travel
In reply to john isaacs, 6 months ago

john isaacs wrote:

These lenses are so small, they all fit in a travel bag (doesn't look like a camera bag). I also carry a very small travel tripod modified with a small ball head and a remote shutter release cable. This allows me shoot indoors with the wide end of the zoom with longer exposure times. But sometimes you can't use a tripod, so the faster 12 would be useful.

That's the brilliance of Micro Four Thirds that I can't seem to get a lot of people to understand. When you pick up your camera bag and it's simply a bag for a DSLR body but you've got a camera and 3 lenses, it never feels like you're carrying anything and you take more shots.

The 12mm is an awesome lens. As Olympus's first attempt at a pro lens they got it right, the only time you worry about softness is when you're in situations where you wouldn't be using its full focus anyway. At F/2.0 you're practically shooting in the dark and don't see the edge softness issues it has. By F/2.8 you have the same IQ as the Olympus 12-40 F/2.8 zoom.

It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other though, if I didn't already have the Olympus 14-42 II I'd have bought the Olympus 12-40 Pro. So, if you've got a zoom already it makes sense to buy a few primes, but if you've got the 12-40 then I wouldn't see any need except for a low light prime.

If I had the 12-40 I'd have probably bought the 17mm F/1.8 as my low light/indoors prime lens, instead I'll probably end up buying the 17mm anyway as my normal lens.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow