D7100 won't autofocus when held vertically (grip side up)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
SenicPhoto
Regular MemberPosts: 210Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 won't autofocus when held vertically (grip side up)
In reply to mike80, 7 months ago

mike80 wrote:

I have an almost 1-month-old D7100, and just noticed that when I hold the camera vertically, with the grip side of the camera facing up, most of the time, it won't focus.

It's not that it tries to focus and fails. It doesn't even try to focus. The focus point lights-up, but that's about it. No sound comes from the lens or camera.

When this happens, the camera will take an out-of-focus photo, even though the camera is set to AF-S and focus priority.

If I hold the camera horizontally, or vertically with the grip side of the camera facing down, it focuses fine.

The store I purchased it from (Henry's) has a 15-day exchange/return policy, so it's looks as though I'll have to send it to Nikon Canada.

Any advice on how I should proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I had issues with some other camera equipment purchased at Henrys and unfortunately, the outcomes was the same. For some reason even very obvious issues they label as "user error". I would suggest not to waste any more time with them but contact Nikon ASAP ... that will be your best bet.

SenicPhoto's gear list:SenicPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D610 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow