I want a wide lens for landscape + city/architecture

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Re: I want a wide lens for landscape + city/architecture
In reply to Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson, 6 months ago

You say you're in Finland? I wouldn't consider anything greater than F/3.5 as anything less than acceptable that really rules out the majority of lenses and either drives you towards the Olympus 12-40 or the equivalent Panasonic 12-35. Failing that in terms of affordability then you have the Olympus 17mm F/1.8 or the Olympus 12mm F/2.0. The Olympus 17mm will give you a 35mm portrait. The Olympus 12mm will give you an ultra wide for landscapes.

I had the Olympus 14-42 II so I chose the Olympus 12mm F/2.0 for $500 second hand, the Olympus 12-40 is double that price new as is the Panasonic equivalent. If I'm really in a pinch and want a portrait at night, then I can crop to 17mm with the 12mm... You can't "uncrop" a lens width you do not have.

The Olympus 12mm despite its name is a pro lens and once you hit F/2.8 it will match it with the 12-35 and 12-40. The difference being is that you can't do available light shooting with an F/2.8 lens. By the time nightfall reaches you'll be reaching for a flash, or boosting your ISO to keep your shutter speed up and wit µ4/3 you really dont want to be doing the later.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow