Panasonic GF3 and 100-300 lens in St. Petersburg

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
tnphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic GF3 and 100-300 lens in St. Petersburg
In reply to Electriq, 3 months ago

Your 100-300mm lends itself well to isolating a subject and letting its surroundings go out of focus. It's important to ask yourself, "what is it that attracts me to this scene?" and then concentrate on that, ruthlessly cropping away any distracting elements. Is there an architectural detail that interests you? Do you want to contrast two different styles or eras? Are you interested in patterns? Do you want to show people (or a person) in relation to a specific building or location? Then what can you leave out that doesn't show that subject?

It seems you like to include the trolley and electrical wires, and if so, that's fine. To me, they are leading lines that lead my eye out of the frame. If you want to eliminate or minimize them, seek out elevated viewpoints, or shoot up a hill to isolate your subject against the sky. What season, what time of day, what light, best shows your subject? Your tool is not the camera, it is the light on your subject.

Photography is a skill that is easy to learn and hard to master. I commend you for your search, and your desire to get better.

tnphoto's gear list:tnphoto's gear list
Nikon D3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow