Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim 2014
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Camera for 10 year old
8 months ago

I have two children aged 5 and 10. Due my busy schedule, I have not had much time to take kids pictures. I thought I would buy the 10 year old a camera and let him take pictures to his heart's content -- some of these will be useful for me. I want a camera that takes good pictures (so they are useable), but does not cost much.

I recently purchased two camera from Target's clearance set and am at a dilemma on which to keep. The first is the Canon SX280 HS for $100 (20x zoom, 12 MP). The second is a Canon Rebel T3 with the 18-55 kit lens for $135 (yes, the price is correct!) that I got today.

The SX280 appears be a no brainer to me given that it is easy to use and small in size. The 10 year old is already taking good pictures with it and is able to set it up for the 5 year old to use also.

I got the T3 at such a low price though, that I am tempted to give that to the 10 year old. I am hopeful that it will last him a few years, over which he can learn a lot about photography. My fear is that the camera is too bulky for him and he may not want to use it. He has been very eager for me to give him the T3 as he always eyes my T3i. I am not afraid that he will damage it since he is quite responsible with his things.

Since I already have a T3i, I don't really need the T3. An alternative option is to sell the T3 and use the profits to essentially make the SX280 HS be free. I could also keep both cameras. This would allow him to use the SX280 most of the time, but slowly start growing into the T3.

Giving a 10 year old a DSLR sounds crazy to me, so I wanted to see what everyone else thought of my options?

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow