Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,408Gear list
Like?
ZS40 - a solid performer, as long as expectations are properly set
4 months ago

I got this camera for its long zoom reach and portability. So far I've been pleased with it, as long as I observe the following - your mileage may vary:

Downsize images to 2560 px. wide.
JPG fine, 10.2 MP
Use 3x2 format
Max 200 ISO
IResolution ON

It's very nice how one can save all setting to 4 custom memory banks; this way, I can save a custom preset for RAW and full-size capture for those times when I might need such.

I plan to use this camera outdoors solely, as I found above ISO 200 to be lacking. I tried processing a RAW file from ISO 250 and the results are acceptable, but too much work; if I commit to processing RAW, I'll grab one of my other cameras (for context, I use a Sony A7R and RX1R with various Zeiss lenses, both Sony-Zeiss with autofocus and proper Zeiss MF lenses.)

A big plus for the ZS40 is its weight; it looks heavier than it is in real life. Image stabilization is top notch.

Below are some photos straight from the camera; the only processed photo is the one inside the airport terminal, which was processed from RAW. Detail is much better preserved in RAWs, and fringing can be corrected as well. I'll start with that one:

ISO 250, processed from RAW

OK, I actually processed this one, but only to lift shadows a bit in LR.

The rest are straight out of camera JPGs, with no processing whatsoever except downsizing.

These are all snapshots with no claim to any artistry, I was simply trying to evaluate the camera.

Some of these are zoom series, but since I didn't use a tripod they're not perfectly aligned.

ncsakany's gear list:ncsakany's gear list
RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Sony Alpha 7R Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow