Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gloaming
Contributing MemberPosts: 779
Like?
Start-up/Power-up with a balky ELPH 330
8 months ago

Long story short, I had battery problems (I thought) with my new 330 last summer.  Canon agreed to repair it after I found a replacement battery also seemed to go flat over night.  They replaced the main board, and the camera seemed fine until about two months later.  Same thing...a fresh battery inserted the day before, with minimal use, seems to go flat and power-up doesn't work.  The lens won't open and extend.

I'm not going to send it back because clearly the techs have no idea what to do about this.  Meanwhile, if you are experiencing the same problem, here is what I have found, and it works 100% of the time so far:

Remove the battery, wait for a couple of seconds, reinsert it, close the cover, and power up as per normal.  The lens cover will open, the lens will extend, and you'll be good to go.  I was recently on a back road expedition to look for old rail trestles and had to perform this fix at least twice.  As I said, it worked reliably.

It would be nice if the camera were reliable, and that Canon didn't have so many problems with batteries across some of its offerings, but that's a whole 'nuther thread.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow