Senior MemberPosts: 1,560Gear list
Like?
Re: Not to mention all those great fast M4/3 prime lenses
In reply to dougjgreen1, 3 months ago

dougjgreen1 wrote:

BarnET wrote:

dougjgreen1 wrote:

Nikon 1 has 3 primes, which can be described as:

1) an inexpensive 10mm f2.8 pancake wide angle - basically comparable to the Panasonic 14mm f2.5

The Pana is faster and the sensor is nearly double the surface area.

I agree - so? The Nikon lens is also less expensive

Let's agree to this: the Nikon is less expensive, but also worse in terms of light gathering power, and more than a stop worse in terms of DOF control and high ISO (because mFT sensors have a 1 stop advantage here).

3) The 32mm f1.2 - very fast portrait length lens, - comparable to the Leica Nocticron 42.5mm f1.2

LMAO, never heard of light gathering, O.I.S.

Both lenses are f1.2.

Even so, the 16MP mFT sensor has an advantage of around 1 stop, so in practice the Nocti is a faster lens than the 32mm.

I was not referring to depth of field, I WAS referring to light gathering - which is the same for any f1.2 lens.

How convenient that you weren't referring to DOF. DOF happens to be a very important factor for portrait lenses.

Not sure that OIS is reason to justify a $700 higher price for the Noct. Maybe they sell the lenses by the ounce.

Or maybe the Nocti allows the mFT user to go one stop above the ISO a N1 users could use with the 32mm, while having equal IQ. It also has a stabilizer, which no N1 prime has. It has better DOF control and an aperture ring, which some people value.

But really, one should compare the Oly 45/1.8 to the Nikon 32/1.2, because they are essentially identical in all regards, except price. (think first, before you start the f/1.8 vs f/1.2 argument)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow