Buying a canon 6D and why?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650
Like?
Re: Buying a canon 6D and why?
In reply to Stevil, 3 months ago

Stevil wrote:

I just upgraded from a Canon 40D and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 lens to the 6D+24-105. I've owned the 40D for 7 years, and had wrung every last bit of performance out of it that I could, using ETTR and UniWB, an Expodisc, excellent tripod, an Xrite custom profile, noise profiling, stacking/averaging, strobism, black traps, you name it. I finally got to the point where I could say the hardware was the limiting factor, not my knowledge. Where the 40D couldn't meet my needs was indoors in dim light, even at f/1.4, and outside in the forest with sun streaming through the trees. If my subjects were stationary, I'd be perfectly happy with HDR and averaging out the noise, but kids move, ocean waves roll in, and trees sway. Also, since I am well into middle age, the viewfinder was starting to look kinda dim- I can't discern some critical details when composing pictures or choosing when to press the shutter.

The big, bright 6D viewfinder is a revelation, and the high ISO performance is fantastic- more than two stops better than my 40D. The focus microadjust is going to come in handy, too- my 85mm f/1.8 isn't quite calibrated. Even with the f/4 maximum aperture on the 24-105, I can get beautiful bokeh. Viewing the output at 100% on screen, the 6D has much more detail, sharpness, and better tonal gradations, not to mention lower noise.

the 6D is a good upgrade from the 40D

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow