Sony RX10. Pixel size and noise are holding me back from buying

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
kwa_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,631Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony RX10. Pixel size and noise are holding me back from buying
In reply to MoreGooderPhotos, 8 months ago

I've got Fuji's (X100 and X-E1)....and an RX10. Why do I have the RX10? Simply put, it's a single compact (for what it is) all in one solution with a constant f/2.8 aperture and a bigger than "normal" p&s sensor. That 1" sensor is pretty amazing. As long as I don't don't pixel peep at 100%, I'm very happy with it. Seriously, how big are you going to print? When looking at the images filling my 27" Apple Thunderbolt display (2560 x 1440) the RX10 is great! I when I do "peep", I treat it as a 14-16MP camera. That's more than enough for me.

To get that same range is Fuji is fairly costly. I've got the X-E1 + 18-55 (~28-83mm) and 55-200 (~83-300mm) and they don't have the constant f/2.8. I am on the verge of selling my Fuji zooms and keeping only the primes (my favorite is the 35 f/1.4) as the RX10 negates the need for my zooms on Fuji. PLUS, the RX10 blows away the Fuji's with video quality and video AF (in a totally different league). My Fuji's will become prime / low light cameras. Yes, they do (IMO) have the BEST APS-C sensors out there and are great at high ISO. They will be the one to grab when ultimate IQ with a prime lens is the priority vs. flexibilty.

I view the RX10 and it's great 1" sensor as a near perfect compromise camera. It excels with video, matches most APS-C with crummy kit lenses at reasonable ISO's, holds its own up t ISO 3200 (and that f/2.8 really helps) and handles very well!

I'll also be ditching all other sub APS-C cameras in favor of the RX10 (ex. Fuji X10, X-S1 and an older Canon G11). The performance of this sensor has so impressed me that if I need a smaller pocket camera down the road, I'll likely go the route of the RX100 line (or successor).

The other thing to consider with the RX10 is that to get an equivalent mirrorless solution elsewhere is going to be VERY costly.  Look at the Oly OM-D EM-1 or the Panny GH3/GH4.  You'd be plunking down at least $1200 of the body (or more) plus if you got the two Panny f/2.8 zooms to match the RX10 range, you'd be looking at an average of about $1000 for each lens.  You'd have around $3500 in that system and have to carry it vs. the RX10 and nothing else to carry.  Just a thought.

I never thought I'd shoot with a Sony. Some have accused me of being a Fuji fan-boy. However, I've see the light on their smaller sensor (1") and think it's a great way to go! I'm having a blast with it so far.

-- hide signature --

Ken
FujiFilm FinePix Moderator (PM with Q's vs. a public post please)

kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow