V1/V2 vs OM-D E-M10 (take 2)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,915
Like?
Re: V1/V2 vs OM-D E-M10 (take 2)
In reply to MarsObserver, 8 months ago

Nice comparison Photo Pete of two similarly sized ILC cameras.

Ultimately, I chose the 'other path' opting to keep my Nikon1 system, and sell my Micro 4/3 kit.

I think the main difference between your scenario and mine is that perhaps you're looking to shoot with a single camera.  And I agree - if I were to choose only 1 camera/system - the M4/3 system and E-M10 would be at the top of the list!

However... in my case... I'm looking to use a 'dual' system - a camera that will *compliment* (rather than replace) my full-frame camera (whether the Nikon D700 or Sony A7).

In that scenario, the advantage goes to the V1/V2/V3 (IMHO), especially so for existing Nikon shooters where the 2.7x crop factor and FT-1 adapters offer huge advantages that the M4/3 simply can't match.

So... will you be slinging one gun, or two?  That's the question!

I'll be keeping my D3s and D800 with 14-24, 24-70 and 80-400 afs. The Olympus will be the light-weight walk around.

That is really the reason I'm not too concerned about the focus tracking for fast action... I'll be using the dSLRs for any serious sports stuff. The Olympus actually allows me to configure it to handle more like a Nikon dSLR than the Nikon V2 does and its focus performance for less extreme action is fine.

Oh Nikon!.... you really should think of these cameras as part of a cohesive range with your dSLRs rather than as competing against each other. If I could use the same batteries and flashes and remotes and GPS units etc on your dSLRs and mirrorless and compacts I wouldn't feel so free to uproot and go to a different brand. As it is I have to buy new accessories for each of your ranges and so there is no real incentive for me to have all of my cameras as Nikon. The FT-1 is ok, but a crop from the D800 will give most of that reach without losing AF functionality.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow