Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
MoreGooderPhotos
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony RX10. Pixel size and noise are holding me back from buying
In reply to edform, 7 months ago

edform wrote:

MoreGooderPhotos wrote:

I've seen some amazing shots taken with the RX10, but it has more to do with the artistry and subject matter. As I said in a previous thread, the composition and subject are more important than how good neighboring pixels look, but the more I think about it the more I realize that Sony's attempt to out-pixel the Nikon 1 sensors was a mistake.

The sensor of the Nikon 1 cameras is hopelessly outclassed by that of the RX10 as a recent review comparing them and one other camera showed. Sony didn't 'out-pixel' the Nikon 1 sensor, they produced an infinitely superior device in every possible way - in particular the signal to noise ratio is notably better and the fact that the Sony sensor has more pixels is a bonus.

Cramming 20mpx into a small sensor is not ideal.

Really? You need to back this up with samples, and get them from full reviews on the same site if possible. I can tell you now that you won't be able to because the absolute superiority of the Sony shines out.

Whenever this subject comes up, and it comes up again and again, I cite these links...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews/sony/rx10/FULLRES/YDSC00821.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews/sony/rx10/FULLRES/YDSC01147.HTM

...which I'll come back to in a moment. I haven't cited this one before...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews/sony/rx10/FULLRES/YDSC00193.HTM

...but it was taken in lowish light and the boundary of its resolution IS noise. When you reach that boundary, however, the image is huge.

Returning to the other two links, look partiularly at the first of the two: it was taken in the yard of a distillery and details of the yard can be seen in the lady's eyes. In particular, there is a clear image of a white painted metal circular staircase in her right eye and of a row of buildings in her left. At 100% magnification there is no trace of noise; the sensors full 20 megapixels are in use - the limit on resolution is sensor pixel count, NOT noise. The ability of the camera to capture images like this fully justifies Sony's engineering-based decision to make a 20mp and not a 16mp sensor. These two portraits are top notch images by any measure. My conclusion is that your ideas on how the camera should have been done are baseless.

Compared to a larger sensor camera, the RX10 has limitations - the image of the hotel function room would have been noise-free if shot with a high pixel count full frame camera, but the RX10 has produced a first rate result for all its excessive number of pixels. I can only agree with Elliot: buy one and send it back if it is as bad as you suggest.

Ed Form

Thanks Ed.  That reflection in her eye is amazing!  I'm astonished.

Can I just go crawl into a corner now?  I've received such a thorough beating that I might just have to cry myself to sleep tonight. 

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop".

MoreGooderPhotos's gear list:MoreGooderPhotos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow