Why is the X-T1 so popular?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,702Gear list
Like?
Perhaps it isn't "selling like hotcakes?"
In reply to Jkim7, 5 months ago

Jkim7 wrote:

I'm a very early beginning photographer (can't even really call myself one) and I'm honestly just asking why people think the camera is selling like hotcakes. There's no need to be sarcastic and put me down.

We really need to define what the word "popular" means.

In terms of units sold, there is no $1000+ camera that is "the most popular." The entire high end of the market (all brands and all models combined) is probably less than 5% of all cameras sold.

If "most popular" means it is the topic of more forum posts, and gets a lot of attention from review websites, then I might be able to explain it.

The Fuji X-T1 is a new camera, that is somewhat different, somewhat innovative, and somewhat interesting. It also happens to be a very good camera, and is part of a very well respected system. As such, it commands the interest and attention of the camera geeks much more than the latest Canon Digital Rebel remake, or the latest Nikon entry level plastic DSLR.

These forums are not the entire universe.

If they were, then someone would have to explain why MILC cameras only achieved a 5% combined market share in 2013 (3 million units out of 60 million shipped according to CIPA) but they get the lion's share of attention on this website (just look to the right... 6 of the 10.. or 60% of the "most popular cameras" at Dpreview are MILC cameras.)

In this context, "most popular" doesn't mean best selling, or best performing, or best features, or best value. It simply means "most talked about."

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
FujiNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow