DF - low light focusing speed?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194Gear list
Like?
Re: Disagree
In reply to sgoldswo, 6 months ago

sgoldswo wrote:

I haven't found an issue with achieving focus in low light. Here's an example taken in a darkened shop with the lights off - the camera focused on the bags:

I think the real difference is in the area, and the sensitivity of the outer AF points, which explains the differences in reports you've seen.

If a person shoots in AF-C Auto all the time they are more likely to see a AF problem vs a camera with the 51 point system, almost by virtue of the smaller AF area. I will say that in lower light I'm likely to shoot in AF-S centre point or AF-C centre point group. The camera seems fine in those configurations. If you shoot centre point all the time you won't see a difference from a D800 - conversely if you shoot in auto you'll see a big difference. All I would say is that it would be a pity to miss out on one of the best cameras in the last 12 months because of misinformation about focus performance.

That fits with my experience. I pretty much have been shooting all center point group, and not seeing any problems. Good explanation.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow