Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FujLiver
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
Df'ing around
5 months ago

So I have had the Nikon Df for a week and just sharing a few thoughts.

Not to go over my murky past but have been using FF for many years (decades ?) and was looking for something to replace my previous long server, a Leica M9. The M240 is a great camera but the extra 100g, price hikes on lenses, desire to run a lower capital base on equipment and general attractiveness of AF led to me look around. If I only wanted 35mm then the Sony RX1 would be it, but I wanted to play around with many FLs, and this is also restrictive on Leica without spending a fortune.

After doing some research I was pretty stunned with the amount of high quality lowish cost (for Leica anyway) lenses available in the DSLR world, and I particularly liked the Nikon range, and the 1.8G holy quad

I checked out all the FF cameras and decided that, for me, the Df seemed to be what the doctor ordered. The dials are wonderful and well placed and virtually everything can set with the camera switched off, something I like to do. Its also the lightest and smallest of the FF DSLRs at the moment and its black! (what's with all that grey plastic ...). The ISO performance is stunning. Just a bit stingy not to have video. Not that I really use video, but for the occasional family moment its nice not to need two cameras. Oh well I suppose the Panny TZ40 is pretty light ...

I find the dials very fast to move when you get used to them. In a future version it would be great to have the lock buttons as switches, if that's even possible, so that you can turn lock off in certain circumstances.

Its quite a personal thing. I found the dials on the Df well placed and the correct ones are nice and large, whereas I preferred the X-E2 to the X-T1, the odd man out. If I was going for APS-C I would definitely give the X-E2 a look in. I do think a lot of thought at Nikon went into the actual user experience of the Df.

Mostly people seem to either ignore the Df (thinking its some old film camera) or are curious, mostly photogs, so its proving a bit more subtle then the D800E combination I tried recently.

So far I have bought the Nikon 35mm f1.8G FX, light and sharp. The Nikon 50mm f1.8G (came with the camera) and the good looking and unfeasibly sharp Sigma 24-105mm Art. I also bought the cheap Tamron 70-300mm SP VR, sharper then it deserves to be at the price. I see the Nikon 85mm f1.8G or 1.4G, 24mm f1.4G and Sigma 50mm Art in my future ....

Anyway, I just shoot for fun, total amateur. Really think these lenses are state of the art, I seem to have lost nothing from moving form Leica (except perhaps the 50mm Summilux - bring on the Sigma 50mm Art)

Some pics:

Escape to Waterloo

Cycle tunnel

A drink after work

The high street

Lennon wall

Vinyl sale

Meat and more meat

Lantern shop

Dangerous clothes

Spot the selfie

The great thing about the Df is that it is so cool to look at and lovely to take around, I just take it everywhere. Which means I don't miss the photo chances. Really enjoying it!

best rgds

FujLiver's gear list:FujLiver's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +2 more
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D800E Nikon Df Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 (Lumix DMC-TZ40) Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow