Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
dpreviewreader
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
Re: Auto ISO in Manual Mode. OLY m43 system
In reply to David Kieltyka, 8 months ago

David Kieltyka wrote:

dpreviewreader wrote:

This is a non-issue for those who shoot raw. Since exposure depends upon the f-stop and shutter speed only, shoot raw in manual mode, apply any exposure compensation by changing the shutter speed or f-stop and adjust the brightness during pp if the auto ISO selected is not what you want.

Exposure also depends on your ISO setting in RAW unless you shoot everything at base ISO and then push in post. I wouldn't recommend doing this. With recent Oly cameras, though, if you cap Auto ISO at 800 or so you should be okay "underexposing" and then pushing.

I don't understand why the exposure would depend upon ISO setting in M mode. You choose your f-stop and shutter speed and that is your exposure, whatever the ISO setting. One can move the exposure slider in post to change the brightness provided by the ISO value automatically selected by the camera.

Also, in manual mode with Auto ISO changing Tv or Av just causes the camera to shift the ISO in response. You're stuck with the camera's desired EV unless you turn off Auto ISO. (You can of course also use AE Lock to force a different EV.) Note that you can get around this with lenses that don't talk to the camera, like the Voigtländers, by using shutter priority with Auto ISO. Since the camera can't control the lens aperture this is effectively manual mode with exposure comp. capability.

Since EV depends upon f# and time only, the fact that the camera shifts the ISO value does not matter. The post I responded to originally talked about not having exposure compensation in M mode and I believe it meant that one should have the ability to override the ISO selected by the camera. This can be accomplished in post for raw images.

-Dave-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow