Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 32,301
Like?
Re: Dreaming is free, large sensors cost money
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 8 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

robin t wrote:

I think you'd agree with me on this Doss, but the one exception to all this obsolescence is that my full frame (film) SLR and all of its lenses are in perfect working order and produce amazing images 30-40 years after being manufactured.

Have you had your shutter checked recently? Mechanically timed shutters need frequent adjustments to keep them accurate. The better designed electronically timed shutters tend to still be almost perfect after 30 years.

the fact that all the parts that I want in my dream DSLR have been manufactured already also. It's not a question of re-engineering at massive cost.

You are assuming they kept the plans and the tooling. And that enough buyers in 2014 are happy with 1974 technology (i.e. the Nikormat FT2 you mention was limited to 1/1000th top speed. The FM2/FM2n/FM3n managed 1/4000 on paper, but keeping it accurate at that speed was problematic.

but it would be so sweet if the camera was just smaller. Not tremendously, even 30% smaller would make it incredible.

It is smaller than most films camera of similar performance. I guess it's time to pull out my F1 photo again: the D600 outperforms this camera in every way but as bicep exercise.

Can also be used as a hammer

It would be nice if an engineer would say its not possible, but I don't believe that the technology and know-how isn't there.

It's possible, but is it marketable at a price that would make for a decent ROI? If it were to happen, I'd bet the first iteration would be a limited edition collector's camera and not something mass market.

-- hide signature --

Erik

This interesting bit from the Wikipedia article on the FM3A

The Nikon FM3A is an interchangeable lens, focal plane shutter, 35 mm film, single-lens reflex (SLR) camera. It was manufactured by Nikon Corporation in Japan, on small-volume assembly lines, from 2001 to 2006.

The FM3A's introduction coincided with a major technological revolution in photographic technology—digital imaging. Many photographers, professional and amateur alike, switched to digital, resulting in a huge decrease in film SLR sales. By 2004, annual sales of digital cameras had surpassed those of film cameras. Though FM3a sales remained steady, they were minuscule in volume compared to Nikon's other cameras, and steadily increasing costs forced Nikon to announce the discontinuation of the FM3a on 11 January 2006

The FM3A cost $820, no lens. So, they couldn't make it pay at that. It had 5 years life - I'd guess, when Nikon introduced it they knew very well that digital was coming and expected to last much longer than 5 years.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yuckNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow