ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,555
Like?
Some thoughts on Nightime Flare for GORDON W
6 months ago

Hi, Gordon.

I keep thinking about your beautiful night shots, but with the six-pointed flare around the lights.

You may recall that I was examining my ZS40's lens aperture diaphragm with a 10x loupe in our last discussion about this with Jimmy Brown.

Fooling around with this Casio EX ZR700 camera I have, I noticed that it only has 2 ƒ/stop settings - ƒ/3.5 & ƒ/7, which got me wondering......

So I took a close look with the loupe while changing stops - and the casio has no blades at all, but has two ROUND aperture openings: basically "waterhouse stops".

That set me to wondering about your "stars" and last night I had a chance to try it out, resting each camera on the edge of the pickup truck bed, and sure enough, the Casio gives no "star" effect !!

Panasonic ZS40, star flares:

Casio EX ZR700 round flares::

Both were shot at their maximum aperture - Casio @ ƒ/3.5 & Panny @ ƒ/3.3, and both at the same shutter speed - 15 seconds.

I see that there was in both cases some vertical doubling of the image (I guess a truck rocks a bit when disturbed).

I have NO idea what caused the big vertical flares in the Casio shot - they occured in each of the several shots I took - probably cleaning streaks on the lens, although it appears clean - even looking with the loupe.

You may or may not prefer the round blobs around the lights, and looking for a round-aperture camera will have to be done in person with a loupe because no reviewer I've ever heard of goes into this much detail, but here's "food for thought".  

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Casio Exilim EX-ZR700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow