My dream full-frame camera.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,039Gear list
Like?
Re: Dreaming is free, large sensors cost money
In reply to robin t, 5 months ago

robin t wrote:

I think you'd agree with me on this Doss, but the one exception to all this obsolescence is that my full frame (film) SLR and all of its lenses are in perfect working order and produce amazing images 30-40 years after being manufactured.

Have you had your shutter checked recently?  Mechanically timed shutters need frequent adjustments to keep them accurate.  The better designed electronically timed shutters tend to still be almost perfect after 30 years.

the fact that all the parts that I want in my dream DSLR have been manufactured already also. It's not a question of re-engineering at massive cost.

You are assuming they kept the plans and the tooling. And that enough buyers in 2014 are happy with 1974 technology (i.e. the Nikormat FT2 you mention was limited to 1/1000th top speed.  The FM2/FM2n/FM3n managed 1/4000 on paper, but keeping it accurate at that speed was problematic.

but it would be so sweet if the camera was just smaller. Not tremendously, even 30% smaller would make it incredible.

It is smaller than most films camera of similar performance. I guess it's time to pull out my F1 photo again:  the D600 outperforms this camera in every way but as bicep exercise.

Can also be used as a hammer

It would be nice if an engineer would say its not possible, but I don't believe that the technology and know-how isn't there.

It's possible, but is it marketable at a price that would make for a decent ROI?   If it were to happen, I'd bet the first iteration would be a limited edition collector's camera and not something mass market.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yuckNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow