My dream full-frame camera.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,103Gear list
Like?
Re: Using the wrong metric
In reply to Doss, 8 months ago

Doss wrote:

But I completely agree. Until there are spectacular new developments in optics (which are limited by the laws of physics) then the limit for pixel density has hit a bar (for now).

Actually, it hasn't.  See the Nokia 41MP sensor as an example of using a lot more pixels than where you think it would be limited optically. We may be approaching the limits of where one sensor pixel will correspond to one output pixel, but there are techniques that can exploited be when the image is oversampled that will make for better images.

HENCE there is nothing wrong with our wishes that the manufacturers can now concentrate their efforts on the design having appeased the pixel peepers who drove the market up until this point.

I expect that as the camera market has matured, this is a niche that some camera makers may explore.  The fallacy is in expecting that such cameras will be cheaper than the mass market versions.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yuckNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow