Disapointed in my Df.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195Gear list
Like?
Re: AF-S and self timer on a moving subject ?!!
In reply to brianric, 6 months ago

brianric wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

han47 wrote

Hi Paul,

still think he was using flash in AFc and then switched to AFs to have focus assist.

He wrote :I had it set up for flash, AF-C single point, center point, focus priority
Then he continued: I had to switch to AF-S, and the red AF-assist illuminator in order to lock focus

About ten messages later he wrote:I took a picture with no flash, and it was f/4.0 at 1/80 at ISO 3200.
But this was to describe the circomstances after someone asked about them.

Where do you think the red led from the selftimer comes in play.?

I don't think it does. He was using flash most of the time. When he refers to AF assist light I believe he is talking about the assist light on the flash. Nowhere in his post does he mention self-timer.

Btw. I don't use a Df nor did I read the manual for this particular thread.

Ciao, Han

Initial setup was using flash 100% of the time except for one test picture, AF-C, single point, priority focus. Switch to AF-S so I could use the red AF illuminator from the flash in order to get focus lock. I preferred AF-C, but had to switch to AF-S. I took one shot in available light (no flash) to get the reading. As soon as I had a break in the action, I went out to my car to get the D800, and finished the rest of the shoot with the D800.

Brian: You are getting a lot of odd replies in this post. Sure, before autofocus, all of us had to focus manually, but I don't see what that's got to do with your post. And I have no idea how self-timers came into the conversation! I would say it does sound a bit surprising/disappointing that you had as much trouble as you say in the conditions you describe. Good that you had your second camera handy.

Perhaps, like with any camera, it may take a bit of time to discover how to extract its full potential. For example, in terms of image sharpness, I have found my keeper rate has gone up significantly after shooting regularly with the Df for a few weeks.

Regardless, at the end of the day, it sounds like you know enough about what you are doing (certainly more than some of those who have replied on this thread) that you can rely on your own judgements. Good luck.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow