New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: Dreaming is free, large sensors cost money
In reply to Doss, 6 months ago

Doss wrote:

Rservello wrote:

Doss wrote:

Erik Magnuson wrote:

See, it's statements like this that make it hard to distinguish between satire and ignorance. But we'll get our affordable 6x9 shortly after we get our flying cars for less than the cost of a new luxury car.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Referring back to my previous post - the almost exact, same comment was made against my argument for FF digital SLRs.

Back in the 80s I knew a guy with a cellphone the size of a briefcase. I told them I'd consider buying one when they could fit in your pocket. "They can't get any smaller - they need too much battery power" he told me. 5 years later I bought one that fit in my pocket.

Back in the 90s I knew a guy who bought a DVD player for $1000. I told them I'd consider buying one when they were a tenth that price. "They will NEVER be that cheap" he told me. 10 years later I bought one that cheap.

I wasn't sure if my friends were being satirical or ignorant either.

Some people just believe what they're told. Some believe that the expensive toy they bought is the best that will ever be.

Yep! And such a strange belief, considering they will again be buying the next best thing in a year or two!

Others look to the past to divine the future and realize that everything we have now will be bargain bin garbage in 10 years.

That's why I've only upgraded my camera once in 12 years, and won't change it again until things significantly improve.

But, I am happy those who put their faith in adverts frequently buy a new expensive toy each time they are made to feel they need one. All the money they spend goes towards research & development for the future affordable dream camera we're talking about.

I think you'd agree with me on this Doss, but the one exception to all this obsolescence is that my full frame (film) SLR and all of its lenses are in perfect working order and produce amazing images 30-40 years after being manufactured. I just dont want to use film anymore. But the people (Bob?) who keep arguing that the manufacturers will always just default to the parts bin ignore the fact that all the parts that I want in my dream DSLR have been manufactured already also. It's not a question of re-engineering at massive cost. It's more a question of will. But it also seems like the manufacturers are all going in that direction.

I used the D600 and it was great, and produced awesome images. But its big as a house, and the manual focusing sucks. There is in fact an OEM focus screen available for <$100, which could be a dealmaker, but it would be so sweet if the camera was just smaller. Not tremendously, even 30% smaller would make it incredible.

It would be nice if an engineer would say its not possible, but I don't believe that the technology and know-how isn't there. Until an actual Nikon engineer tells me so. Is there one out there?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yuckNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow