Sony RX10. Pixel size and noise are holding me back from buying

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
MoreGooderPhotos
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony RX10. Pixel size and noise are holding me back from buying
In reply to Ron AKA, 5 months ago

Ron AKA wrote:

I have the RX100, and don't really take issue with your concern about the price of the RX10 for what you get. The RX10 is not my cup of tea due to the size and price. However, I do take some issue with your conclusions about the sensor. Yes, if I was the designer of the RX100 sensor, I think I would cut back on the pixel density a bit to 16 MP or so. That is enough. But the argument from the other size is that going from 20 to 16 is not much of a difference.

That aside, keep in mind that all images from the camera start as RAW images. Post processing is done in the camera starting with the RAW image to produce the JPEG. There is no reason for the image produced in post processing from RAW to be worse than an in camera JPEG. When you increase the ISO setting the camera will adjust the in camera noise reduction circuitry (hardware), but to my knowledge, it will do it for both the RAW and JPEG. The hardware adjustment to the image occurs before the RAW is created.

So, I understand your concerns, and yes in low light I have seen noise in RX10 (and RX100) images, but I don't believe the JPEG's are immune from it. In brighter light, I do not see any significant noise in my RX100 images, and if taken in normal daylight, I usually do not even check for noise when doing the RAW development. But, I am from the camp that believes if you are going to spend this much on a camera you should be post processing and starting from RAW.

If you are assuming larger pixel size always means better IQ then check out some images from the R1. Bigger pixels and more noise than the RX100, even in brighter light.

Thanks Ron, for the helpful reply.

Are you saying that the RAW files are already noise- reduced?

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop".

MoreGooderPhotos's gear list:MoreGooderPhotos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow