Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MoreGooderPhotos
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Sony RX10. Pixel size and noise are holding me back from buying
7 months ago

For nearly $1300, it's hard for me to simply purchase the RX10 without being 95% satisfied. I like most everything about the RX10 except for the noise in raw images. It's got horrendous noise without the in-camera noise reduction.

I've seen some amazing shots taken with the RX10, but it has more to do with the artistry and subject matter. As I said in a previous thread, the composition and subject are more important than how good neighboring pixels look, but the more I think about it the more I realize that Sony's attempt to out-pixel the Nikon 1 sensors was a mistake.

Cramming 20mpx into a small sensor is not ideal. The only advantage to such a high pixel density is the ability to crop smaller. However, when you do crop smaller the noise is going to be more visible, which defeats the purpose of the higher density. This means you then need to apply noise reduction to the cropped portion, so there goes the fine details and the reason for cropping to begin with.

Sony's in-camera noise reduction does do a good job, but what if I want to bring in more details lurking in the shadows by PP'ing raw? That means I'm either going to have to save all shots as JPG + Raw so that I have a choice between spending my valuable time PP's or living with the possibility of detail loss due to in-camera noise reduction.

I don't know.... Someone convince me. I just can't see spending that much money on something to produce web-size images or picture books over say a Fuji XT1. Yeah I know, 200mm, Zeiss, etc. But IQ needs to be there and I'm struggling with it for the price their asking. Sure, the lens alone is great, but had they put a lower density sensor in it they would have large photo sites collecting more light at a lower ISO with better overall image quality without the hocus-pocus noise reduction/detail killer.

So here I sit, wondering if I should hit my credit card for $1300 for something that could have been the bridge camera to beat them all, if it weren't for a sensor spec dictated by the marketing department.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop".

MoreGooderPhotos's gear list:MoreGooderPhotos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Fujifilm X-T1 Pentax K-r Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow