Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
daleeight
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
Oly 12-40 is too big/bulky
3 months ago

So I have read and pondered the Oly 12-40 purchase for awhile (like a lot of people, probably). I read the "arguments" over zoom versus prime, and the size/weight/bulk stories. So I wondered if it would be too much, or too awkward.

The Oly 12-40 is apparently 1.5 times as heavy as my old Oly 12-60 big 4/3 lens, and give or take, about 3/8" bigger in diameter and 0.5" longer. I guess one could say given the lens range, the 12-60 is big, but it was 2.8 - 4.0 too. And a bigger mount. But it doesn't feel heavy and bulky on the E-3.

So I wondered about the lowly Sony models. Their new 24-70 f/4 Zeiss FE lens for their A7/7r. Camera itself is a tick smaller than the OM-D E1 (which kind of surprised me). This lens is only 1/8" bigger in diameter, and is 0.5" longer, weighing in about 1/10th of a pound more. And it is only f/4, with 10mm less range (35mm terms).

So one would assume the new Sony 24-70 on an A7/A7r would feel more bulky and heavier, no? And I would assume the Oly 12-40 would feel worse as far as heavy/bulky on the M-5 (with no added grip) than on the M-1...?

-- hide signature --

Dale

Olympus E-3 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow