Do I really need Raw

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
phototransformations
Senior MemberPosts: 2,746Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I really need Raw
In reply to John Beavin, 3 months ago

John Beavin wrote:

In reply to both you and Brue the shots you both posted are bin material, I have to say if I continually produced images like those, I would probably be a raw fan too, or at least would be looking for a new camera. To be fair you were trying to demonstrate the advantage of raw, sadly it confirmed my opinion that it is more a pixel peepers gimmick than a useful tool.

This was a grab out the window taken specifically to see if there was much highlight recovery possible in my LX7's RAW files. (There was almost two f-stops.) It's a test shot, not a photograph. To call it "bin material" is like calling the studio shots dpreview takes "bin material." I thought I'd made the purpose of that shot clear, but perhaps you are so fixed in your belief that RAW is not worth it that you missed the point.

Have fun with your JPEGs.

David

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow