I want a wide lens for landscape + city/architecture

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,132Gear list
Like?
Re: Well..
In reply to Gravi, 7 months ago

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson wrote:

I have it on my E-M5 and love it. Great, versatile, good IQ, compact. It is the lens I usually start out with when taking my camera. However, when I look at my favourite shots, many of them are not taken with this lens. For landscapes and architecture, most of my favourites are taken with the 9-18mm. For portraits the Oly 45mm or Pana 25mm. Close ups some tele or macro lens. So, my conclusion: the 12-35 is a great allrounder, but it does not replace the rest of my bag of lenses. Not even close.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

That's interesting, maybe I should bite the bullet and get the 9-18? I have the 25 for portraits... so?

-- hide signature --

I cant decide for you, the 9-18mm does not deliver the IQ the 12-35mm does. But I like the UWA a lot.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

If I go for ultra-wide, it will probably be the 7-14.... a strong statement: if then probably...

-- hide signature --

Yes, IQ wise the 7-14 is sharper at the edges and corners. However, it does not take filters... And shooting landscapes without the possibility to use filters is a no-go for me. Combined with the size and price difference, the 7-14 looses for me.

Don't get me wrong though, the 9-18mm has very good IQ, it is just that the 12-35 has even better IQ. You will only notice the difference in very large prints or while zooming in a lot, or when cropping. But an UWA is not for cropping

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

The 9-18 is a very nice lens but it can't match the 12-40 regarding IQ. So I sold the 9-18 hoping to manage with the 12-40 for my architctural shots. So far it's been okay with 12 mm, but I know I will miss the 9-11 range sooner or later. Maybe I'll get the Samyang 7, 5. It's a fisheye but is easily de-fished with a LR lens profile, and it's very sharp. I have tried it and like it very much. The Pana 7-14 is too expensive I think but otherwise very good.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow