I want a wide lens for landscape + city/architecture

Started Apr 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Contributing MemberPosts: 836Gear list
Re: I want a wide lens for landscape + city/architecture the Zuiko is superb
In reply to traveler_101, Apr 6, 2014

I wonder what that reviewer did to male the 12/f2.0 perform SO poorly?

These are hand held snaps with an EM-5   -   I see NO fall off, though might be measured.  I'll add a few more 'test' pics next week.

Part of this reversal of reality will stem from the fact that no IBIS is available the Pana bodies, so the Zuiko is not stabilised, but the Pana will be.
It also looks like it is not FOCUSSED properly - (and hardly a lens fault).

If there's interest, I will DO this test on an EM-1 as I have access to both lenses any time.

SLRGEAR also shows the the ZUIKO smashes the 7-14 for sharpness at every comparable aperture.  The Zuiko is sharper over MOST of the frame than the 7-14 is wide open.  
That's f2 vs f4 - not bad for a lens that is 2 stops (or 400% ) as fast.
SLRGEAR also say:
"The 12mm ƒ/2 is an excellently sharp lens. Wide open at ƒ/2, there's just a hint of corner softness, and stopping down to ƒ/2.8 reduces that almost completely. Tack-sharp results are available from ƒ/4 all the way to ƒ/11"
That matches my experience. Now I have a few lenses with the manual focus ring, I am no longer caught out, but it used to.

Interesting to see what the Zuiko 7-14 2.8 can manage - THAT might make me sell the 12mm, the Panny has no change of that.  
If the Panny 42.5 were a grand, I'd seriously consider one of those, but I see it as 60% overpriced and customers are very happy with what the 45mm can do (so far).   How do I know?  They BUY!

-- hide signature --

Well designed gear performs better for longer than well marketed gear.
Oly and other .. Gear test samples:

photohounds's gear list:photohounds's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow