Anyone know why

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,756Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting attitude towards taxes ...
In reply to deednets, 8 months ago

deednets wrote:

panela wrote:

Amazon was going to charge me 7.50 for "free" shipping and almost 70 dollars for taxes on my order of the 18 and 60 lenses? I ordered from B&H with no charges whatsoever but really wanted to support this site as I am a frequent reader. However paying almost 80 bucks more did not make any sense.

Any thoughts?

I read the whole thread so far where people talk about how they avoid paying any taxes. That's just great, who wants to pay taxes aye??

The downside is of course that the local retailers will disappear over time because they don't have a choice, they HAVE to pay taxes when somebody walks in an buys a product.

Interesting attitude demonstrated here where I think that I will possibly get flamed by people who think that no taxes, tax avoidance etc is the way to go, only stupid people pay taxes right??

Yeah, yeah, that's not the point right?? I personally think that this is exactly the point!

Here in New Zealand there are many people now asking as to how online retailers from overseas can be taxed (we have GST like the UK has VAT, quite substantial tax, 15% here and I believe 20% in the UK??). There is actually quite a bit of sympathy for brick & mortar shops here, that don't have a choice. Ony the most (tempted to use the term selfish, but that is of course never the case, right??) cleverestest people think that this is the way to go, get over it, only idiots pay taxes! We had this change of some wedding gown shops charging for trying dresses on, some of them wanted up to 100.00 for trying and customers were disgusted - until there was an article in the paper that it now is common practise to try the dress on in the shop - and then buy online, no taxes, no shop front ... makes me quite angry this, but apparently this is the way to go, right?

Deed

I'm not about to flame you for your response. In New Zealand, things are probably not as bad as they are here in the States.

Consumers and low to middle income consumers are about the only ones who do pay taxes. The wealthiest Americans are afforded the benefit of tax shelters, trust funds, and special deductions. Large corporations use bookkeeping scams to transfer profits to overseas subsidiaries to avoid paying the taxes they rightfully owe. A high percentage of American industry has been shipped overseas to low-wage paying countries, to increase corporate profits, and free-trade agreements insure that those corporations pay no import fees when the goods they produce overseas are imported into the U.S.A.

The largest corporations here not only do not pay any income tax, but they have their accountants file tax returns that report losses that somehow entitle those corporations to receive "refunds" based on imaginary losses.

Republican Governors and republican controlled state legislatures cut taxes owed by large corporate business interests. Then they turn around and declare a fiscal emergency as budget deficits mount. To "solve" the problem, these same politicians blame it on spending devoted to programs like public education, health care for the poor and elderly, "Meals on Wheels" and fuel oil subsidies intended to make sure the elderly and the poor do not starve to death in the cold of their unheated homes. Mental health programs, early childhood education programs like Head Start, subsidies for school lunch programs for kids who only get one meal a day at home -- all these are under attack so that the wealthy go unburdened from paying the taxes they used to pay.

It's true, all across America local businesses are being forced to close. Bookstores, music shops, camera stores, local clothing boutiques, they're all hard pressed in the face of internet retailers funded by investments of corporate stock holders who are primarily the wealthiest of Americans. Local toy stores, clothing stores, and locally owned grocery stores are being displaced by WalMart.

It may not look pretty, but finding a way to save a few dollars on sales tax is only the small-scale version of what wealthier Americans have been doing for a long time. It's the new American Way.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow