Fast, cheap MFT camera for wife...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,119Gear list
Like?
E-PL5 gets my vote, for cheap & small, yet well-featured
In reply to FrankS009, 6 months ago

If wifi and instant capture to her phone aren't important, I suggest the E-PL5.

Having wifi on my E-M1 has convinced me that wifi is likely a must-have in my future cameras.

Back to the PL5, though… when I bought mine in late 2012, I was immediately impressed by its quick focus, with the included 14-42 lens. I was also impressed with its feature set — despite the small form factor. 8 frames per second, for one, is great for kids' action shots. Lock focus and fire away.

Tilting screen with touch focus and fire is very useful, though there is a hair-of-a-second lag, compared to using the shutter button.

When I showed a friend my new bag, with E-PL5, 14-42 and 40-150, he lifted it and wondered if there was anything in the bag! Now, with my E-M1, I've gone back to my old bag and 5-10 pounds of gear, so I'm prepared for "serious" work. For social gatherings or family activities, the E-PL5 is the handier packageā€¦ and far less expensive.

With a radio slave, you could still use any Canon flashes you may already have. Not TTL… but still very usable.

A caveat: it's all LCD shooting, unless you pay the extra coin for an add-on EVF. I haven't bothered with the EVF — but shooting verticals with the LCD isn't to my liking, especially with the EVF tilted.

Caveat 2: Panasonics are better at video, if that's a concern. The E-PL5 is good enough for static subjects but it doesn't do well on moving targets.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow