Veteran MemberPosts: 6,939
Like?
Re: Do I really need Raw
In reply to John Beavin, 3 months ago

John Beavin wrote:

phototransformations wrote:

morepix wrote:

phototransformations wrote:

To each his own, but I'm not sure what hassle you are talking about. Even PhotoScape has a built-in RAW converter.

Be that as it may, to take advantage of raw images, one must be willing to make a little effort with the conversion adjustments, such as tonal and color balance, sharpening, noise reduction, etc. Or are you suggesting that raw conversion without adjustments results in a better image than the firmware in the camera?

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

Almost.

I spent about an hour "tuning" Adobe Camera Raw to each of my cameras, for each ISO. Once that "tuning" has been done, after that, I consistently get better images in ACR than the JPEGs out of the camera, and I can also fine-tune images in Camera Raw if necessary. Doing things like, for instance, raise the shadows, as you have done in Photoscape in your sample image, is no harder than doing it in Photoscape.

All talk, how about some visible proof, an original JPEG and your raw result.

John,

We just had a thread related to this topic here.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3649040

Here's the original JPG, which I'd consider a throwaway because of blown highlights, followed by the .RW2 processed in PhotoNinja. ISO 1600, Full size so you can see how they look at the pixel level. [Everything looks better when you downsize ]

I'm very much a novice with this software. I suspect that it could be even better if processed by someone with more experience.

If you just click the first image, it will expand in the current window (at least in Windows/Firefox). Then you can switch between the two expanded images by tapping the left and right arrows.

Original JPG

.RW2 processed with Photo Ninja

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow