Third party batteries

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,887Gear list
Like?
Re: Why take the risk to buy non-brands?
In reply to forpetessake, 8 months ago

forpetessake wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

wyldberi wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

Again, these are very unsophisticated batteries with no special electronics or chips. They are more like AA batteries than DSLR batteries. Pay more if you like, but they all have the same chance of blowing up, which as of now is zero.

Sal

I agree with your opinion of non-OEM batteries; I use Wasabi batteries in all my cameras.

But I was under the impression that the majority, if not all, lithium batteries being made now include a bit of electronic circuitry to prevent them from overheating if they are not removed from a charger after being fully recharged.

Your statement that no such electronic component exists comes as a surprise to me. Then again, my previous belief was based on a more general understanding of how lithium ion batteries are built, not how camera batteries or Fuji camera batteries are constructed.

Can you direct me to a source that confirms your assertion?

Thanks.

I was only talking about electronic components that communicate usage data directly to the camera.

And the batteries definitely have electronics communicating information to the camera. If you noticed there were reports about some third party batteries rejected by the camera.

Where can find this info about Fuji cameras rejecting third party batteries?

Lithium charging is complicated and tricky, and it's not controlled in the battery.

It's both. There is a protection circuitry in the battery and in the charger. The protection is quite sophisticated, and it cannot be reset even if the battery is ok. I had a good laptop battery which triggered protection circuit and had to be replaced.

The bad news about those Chinese knock offs is that the adequate protection can be missing from both their batteries and chargers. There were reported cases of fires and injuries, and likely 1000 times more unreported cases of the lesser damages.

When you use an OEM equipment it was tested and certified, not only because of the law requirements, but also because the big companies are afraid of liabilities when something goes wrong. The counterfeiters don't care about such liabilities, so you are in a much greater risk of something going wrong.

Many manufacturers, like National Semiconductor, make chips that operate in pre-qualification mode, constant-current mode, constant-voltage mode, top-off mode, maintenance mode, and measure and control thermals. These chips make it easy for Fuji, Wasabi, Watson, etc. to make customized chargers without all the R&D.

And since Wasabi became popular, how do you know that all those trash batteries are not labeled Wasabi instead of Fuji? It seems only logical that as soon as there is a popular label there will be knock offs targeting it.

The fact remains that Fuji, Wasabi, and Watson batteries have never blown up or caused any camera damage any where, at any time in the world.  If there have been reports about x-cam batteries please correct me.

I actually have more confidence in a major manufactures battery that has a 3-year warranty (Wasabi) than one with a 90-day warranty (Fuji).  I do agree that no-name batteries with power cells made in China should probably be avoided.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow