What is Back Button Focus all about?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,749Gear list
Like?
Re: What is Back Button Focus all about?
In reply to enemjii, 8 months ago

enemjii wrote:

Here it is - All said and done, the button activates focusing, instead of the shutter button. If you do not press the back button, it will continue to shoot at the focus distance that was shot last, in effect, providing you with a focus distance lock.

read below....

You can use back button focusing to solve this problem because the distance between the photographer and the subject stays the same between both shots, but the composition changes. With back button focusing, the photographer activates focus for the first shot, and then is able to recompose infinite times as long as the distance between the camera and the subject remains exactly the same.
my focus would have been locked on the wolf still and I could have shot to the side of the photographer and still got sharp shots as soon as I shewed him out of the frame.

I see we went full circle as this info was provided in the 2nd post by Scorpio a week ago..........

-- hide signature --

"Five out of four people have trouble with fractions."
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow