Third party batteries

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,873Gear list
Like?
Re: Why take the risk to buy non-brands?
In reply to wyldberi, 8 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

Again, these are very unsophisticated batteries with no special electronics or chips. They are more like AA batteries than DSLR batteries. Pay more if you like, but they all have the same chance of blowing up, which as of now is zero.

Sal

I agree with your opinion of non-OEM batteries; I use Wasabi batteries in all my cameras.

But I was under the impression that the majority, if not all, lithium batteries being made now include a bit of electronic circuitry to prevent them from overheating if they are not removed from a charger after being fully recharged.

Your statement that no such electronic component exists comes as a surprise to me. Then again, my previous belief was based on a more general understanding of how lithium ion batteries are built, not how camera batteries or Fuji camera batteries are constructed.

Can you direct me to a source that confirms your assertion?

Thanks.

I was only talking about electronic components that communicate usage data directly to the camera. Lithium charging is complicated and tricky, and it's not controlled in the battery. Many manufacturers, like National Semiconductor, make chips that operate in pre-qualification mode, constant-current mode, constant-voltage mode, top-off mode, maintenance mode, and measure and control thermals.  These chips make it easy for Fuji, Wasabi, Watson, etc. to make customized chargers without all the R&D.

The charging programming that protects for overcharging all happens in the charger circuitry, not in the battery.  The batteries are just simple power cells.

There's an abundance of resources available, just Google.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow