Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Duke Miller
Senior MemberPosts: 1,377Gear list
Like?
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
In reply to G3User, 3 months ago

Product reviews are journalistic functions, and this is all about journalistic integrity.  and by their very nature assumed to be impartial. As a journalist, I was shocked to hear of Kelby's association with Canon. Here's why:

Kelby is part trainer, and a good one at that. He's also part entertainer, and not so good one at that. Training is all about techniques, and the fact he tries to make it interesting with some entertainment mixed in is fine and effective, albeit mostly corny.

Where he crosses the line is if he is on a product's payroll and continues to attempt to function as a reviewer of like products. It's disingenuous, to say the least. Any reviews he publishes in the future should, in bold face, start with, "Disclosure: I am on the payroll of Canon, and as such endorse their products." In my opinion, if he does not disclose, that's got to tell you something.

Look at it another way. Many of us rely on dpreview.com prior to making purchases. I'm there now deciding on upgrading from my D300 to 800e. For several months, I've pored over tons of reviews, but rely more on this site than any other, and it's highly complimentary of the 800e. How would I feel if I bought it, then found out later the site is actually a shill for Nikon?

-- hide signature --

"The mountains are calling, and i must go." John Muir

Duke Miller's gear list:Duke Miller's gear list
Nikon D800E
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JeezNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow