Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,363Gear list
Like?
Curious re: m4/3 lens diaphragm blades
4 months ago

I'm slightly disappointed with most well respected Panasonic or Olympus lens, which I believe is related to the amount of blades in the aperture diaphragm. But only disappointed for specific studies at night, where the character of lights in the scene are concerned.

There are a few exceptions - the 42.5 Panny and the 75mm Oly that I'm aware of. It takes at least 9 blades to start rendering light sources that aren't gritty (unless one stops down into diffraction territory). At least, as I've compared against the Voitlanders that I end up resorting to for specific studies.

It's a first world problem, granted, needing lenses of more mass (and cost) just for this character of rendering. But is that all there is to this observation? Does the sensor's pixel pitch also come into play? Is there a practical limitation involved, or is it a design/lens size/cost determination? I could get by without knowing more, but it's been a Q on my mind for a while, figured it's about time I put it out there.

Examples:

Lumix 7-14/4, could just as well be the 12-40/2.8 (7 blades)

Oly 12/2 (7 blades)

Nokton 17.5/0.95 at f6.7 (9 blades)

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow