Pentax menu system - easy/user friendly?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,573Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax menu system - easy/user friendly?
In reply to socalval, 6 months ago

socalval wrote:

This will be my first DSLR purchase. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Pentax K-50 after comparing it the comparable Nikon and Canon models. I haven't been able to get my hands on the K-50 in person as none of the local stores seem to stock it. Costco sells it on-line with the 2 lens bundle kit and if I go that route I will have the opportunity to return it in store IF there is a reason to - but I hope there is no reason to as I'm pretty convinced this is the camera for me. I've even gone as far reading both the online user manuals for the K-50 and the Nikon 5200. (Is that weird? LOL) It helped a little to understand the features and settings etc., but it still has me wondering what it's like to actually flip thru the menu and find things.

I'd love to hear your opinions of the Pentax menu system especially those who have used both and wish to compare for me.

Pentax menus are not as nice looking as on other brands cameras, but they're quite effective and logically organized. People complaining most likely are accustomed with other brands cameras and their menu system, as I never heard of a Pentax user having such issues with his camera.

When I would occasionally use a Canon/Nikon camera, I wouldn't care about nice pictograms - but I would get a bit confused about how they're structured. I like Pentax better, but then I'm used to it. I like the Pentax interface better (Nikon sometimes needs 3 hands to handle), it's not such a big deal though and I could easily adapt to other brands.

In short: you'll be fine

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow