Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?
4k video - why so much excitement?
6 months ago

I'll start by stating that I don't shoot video - in fact, I'd be more excited by a camera with no video capability (maybe an associated cost/price saving) as the video button on my N7 is redundant and just an occasional annoyance. How about an entirely stills orientated camera

With that admission out of the way, I'm struggling to see why there's all the excitement about 4k video. Here's why from my own POV:

• You need an expensive new TV to view the output at full resolution? Would it be pointless to view 4k video on a 1080p HD TV?
  • Would that expensive new TV be of any use apart from viewing videos from your 4k capable camera - there isn't much other 4k output currently out there - even HD output from broadcasters in the UK is pretty limited?
  • How close would you need to view the video to see any real benefit over 1080p HD video (would it be akin to pixel peeping video) or would you need a massive screen to see the benefits? Don't you normally view your TV from some distance away?
  • Videos are most usually shared and viewed online at lower res than even 1080p?
  • 4k video files would be massive - would you need a very powerful computer to do any editing?

I'm obviously missing something, or lots of things!

Maybe 4k video can be cropped - I mean is it like having the cropping advantage of 24mp vs. 16mp still images?

Or is the ability to shoot 4k video more about bragging rights - both for the user and for the company who makes 'the first'.

Is 4k video 'overkill' - like a 24mp (or more) sensor if all you do with your still images is view them on screen and share them online rather than regularly making large format prints?

Help me understand

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow