ZS40 image quality...bad camera or am I being overly critical?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rob Galvin
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
ZS40 image quality...bad camera or am I being overly critical?
3 months ago

I just upgraded my DMC-ZS3 to a DMC-ZS40.  So far, I love the zoom and features on the camera.  Photos, on the 3" screen, look awesome.

But, I'm finding that when I view them on my 27" PC monitor (1920x1080), I am seeing degraded quality.  At 50% and 100%, they look fine.  But, if I start to zoom in to 150% and greater, quality seems to fall off very quickly.

By comparison, I took some ZS3 shots and tried the zoom in and they hold up better than the ZS40.  Obviously, I can't compare the shots to my Canon 70D, but I wouldn't expect worse quality from the ZS3 to the ZS40.

I'm wondering if I have a bad camera, or if I am just expecting too much from a $450 camera?

I'll post up an example...can anyone compare this to what they are getting quality wise?  If it's my camera, I want to get this straightened out while still on my 30 days of purchasing it.

The example is a one-color shot (based on yellow).  Even at 100%, the plane in the background looks 'off' (to me).

Thanks,

Rob

-- hide signature --

Rob Galvin

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (Lumix DMC-TZ7) Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow