SpyderSTUDIO vs ColorMunki Photo

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
drzeto
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: SpyderSTUDIO vs ColorMunki Photo
In reply to Ron AKA, 5 months ago

Ron AKA wrote:

I think if you have nothing now, going straight to a SpyderSTUDIO kit may be big overkill (and expense). Most issues of matching monitor colour to print colour are with the monitor. For most a paper/printer specific ICC is quite enough to ensure the printer is performing up to par. On a quick look, the Studio kit uses the Sypder4Elite monitor calibrator. I have the less expensive Express version and use it on Windows 8 and now 8.1. It performs well. The only real limitation I see in the Express is that it requires you to manually set your monitor brightness without having a means to measure it. However brightness is somewhat subjective in any case and in the end you will try a few different settings and decide where you like it anyway. The other limitation is that the Express is a one monitor calibrator. If you run two monitors on your computer then you would need the Elite model.

The other thing to consider is that there is quite a huge mismatch in technology between what a monitor can do for colour and what a printer can do. For example a 100% sRGB monitor can cover the whole gamut of sRGB, and probably a bit more. However, most commercial printers (Walmart, Costco,...) fall way short of covering sRGB. Inkjet printers with 8-9 ink colours do better. However while they can do even better than sRGB and even Adobe RGB in some areas, they also are likely to fall short of even sRGB in other areas. Have a look at this link and compare the gamuts of printers to monitors. You can find a gamut for a couple of printers (Fuji Frontier compared to an inkjet), which will switch if you mouse over the type. The bottom line is that you are unlikely to ever make a monitor exactly match a print. There is a technology difference.

Hi Ron, thanks for a great reply. I work in the sRGB color space, both my camera and monitor does. Problem is my printer I guess that only has 4 ink colors. But it shouldn't be as bad as it is. In a printed photo of a lake with a meadow and some forest, the green is clearly reddish, so is the black and blue as well. All pictures are reddish, and it is not subtle differences, it is clearly visible. I try soft proofing in Photoshop CS6, but it looks nothing like what comes out of the printer.

I turn off the color management in the printer driver, and let Photoshop handle the color management, then choose one of the Canon ICC printer profiles that corresponds to the Canon paper I use, and print...with bad results.

So now I figure I calibrate the monitor and build new ICC profiles for different papers with a calibration tool, hopefully this will solve the problem. I'm not looking for perfect results. I'm a happy amateur Not looking to achieve same results as professional developers get.

By the way, I see you have an Epson R3000 printer. I have been looking at this printer for a while now, thinking to upgrade from my iX4000. Are you happy with it? Any drawbacks with it so far?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow