Samyang 800mm f8 reflex. It's not what you think.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lehill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,293Gear list
Like?
Samyang 800mm f8 reflex. It's not what you think.
5 months ago

I shoot wildlife so I've been anxiously lusting after the availability of the new Tamron 150-600mm for A-mount like many others. But it seems the A-mount version won't be available for several more months. So what's a long lens type of guy without a lot of spare change to do?

You buy the $184 Samyang 800mm f8 reflex lens. Everyone knows these lenses are junk and can't take a sharp photos and the internet is full of confirming examples (the Sony/Minolta 500mm AF reflex is a notable exception and in a class all by itself). Yet out of so many really awful fuzzy photos from long reflex lenses there are a few that are not so bad and 1 or 2 that are reasonably sharp. For $184 I figured I could play with this lens and find out if the fuzzy photos are due to problems behind or in front of the camera.

Samyang 800mm f8 reflex on Sony A77. Lens weight: 877 gms. Length, max: 5.7". Dia: 4.4". 105mm (front) & 30.5mm (rear) filter sizes, MFD: 11 ft. T-mount, so you'll need to buy an adapter.

The photos below are initial test shots with 100% crop inserts of the focus point. Lighting was really bad. According to DOFMaster the DOF was about 0.5". Tripod, 10 sec timer, no sharpening. A77 magnified view used for focusing.

Newspaper shot. Looking a bit fuzzy, but not awful. Certainly good enough for the internet.

Chocolate tin. Note the lens is sharp enough to show the detail of the "pixels" that make up the trolley car illustration.

Best focused shot of the night. The pixels are clearly well defined. Hey, this lens ain't so bad!

Initial impressions:

This lens is not as bad as everyone says it is. The combination of manual focus and shallow DOF just makes it very tough to get accurate focus. The Sony A77 with focus magnification and focus peaking makes an ideal companion for this lens. A focus puller would help.

The Samyang (877 gms) weighs about the same as my Sony 70-300G (800 gms). Compared to my Sigma 150-500mm (1910 gms), it's a lightweight.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +21 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow