Which kit lens for olympus om-d em-5?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,327Gear list
Like?
From these two... or other options?
In reply to Stevedore87, 6 months ago

From the two choices the 2-kit version gives you the longest range, but the 12-50 goes wider. I can recommend the 12-50 if you buy early enough and with good return policy and if you are willing to return bad and mediocre copies until you get a good one. A lot of people complain that the 12-50 is not a great lens, but I'm sure the top 20% or so of the range are really good. (I had the 12-50 but mine was most likely in the bottom half. Not great and not completely centered either.)

Other options are the latest models of the Oly 14-150 or Pana 14-140. They are really good (barring bad copies) and having a single lens significantly reduces the risk that while you are using one lens your second lens gets stolen (seriously!).

But another serious contender is the 14-42EZ which will make you look much less conspicuous and will give you opportunities where any bigger lens will attract too much attention. (I have the Pana 14-42X on the E-M5 whenever I am in casual mode instead of picture taking mode.)

On the other hand, when I'm going on a trip to take pictures there really is only one absolutely must-have lens and that is the 12-40 f/2.8. But you're talking serious money of course.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow