Going home-brew mini-ITX vs. BRIX - Thoughts on a Photoshop build and a video card question...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mpwolf
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
Going home-brew mini-ITX vs. BRIX - Thoughts on a Photoshop build and a video card question...
7 months ago

First off, thanks to everyone who provided advice in my last thread:

Is there any new PC tech coming down the pipe for which it would be worth postponing a new PC?

While I was originally considering the Gigabyte BRIX i7 system, after thinking about it, I put together a system that I think will last longer (and have a more viable upgrade path). While more expensive, I think it's the better option.

Currently, I'm looking at the following:

• EVGA Hadron Air Mini-ITX case - includes 500W 80Plus Gold power supply (I love that this case is only 12" x 12" x 7", although it's still 20x the size of the BRIX)
  • Asus Z87I-DELUXE motherboard
  • Intel Core i7-4770K
  • EVGA 92mm mITX ACX cooler (mounted w/ Tuniq TX-4 thermal compound)
  • Crucial Balllistix Tactical 16GB 8-8-8-24 DDR3-1600 1.35V RAM - low profile
  • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
  • Seagate 4TB Desktop HDD (currently in a USB 3.0 enclosure, will install internally)
  • Dell U2410 24" 10-bit monitor x 2

On the video card, I'm a bit confused/torn between these two:

• PNY NVIDIA Quadro K2000 2GB GDDR5 - I believe it's the least expensive, current generation 10-bit card; it also supports 3840 x 2160
  • MSI GeForce GTX 760 GAMING ITX - The only ITX-sized card (I know other cards will fit in this case, but I like the idea of the smaller card for better airflow) with dual DisplayPort outputs, something I'd like to have; it "only" supports 2560 x 1600

I'm not a gamer and haven't used my PC to play a game in over a decade, so gaming performance really isn't a consideration. My PC is used ~50% for Excel work and ~50% for Photoshop (just signed up for the Photography Program) and LR5.

I know LR5 doesn't support 10-bit color, but I believe everything from Photoshop CC to my monitors should support it, which is why I'm looking at the K2000. I admittedly know almost nothing about modern PC video hardware and while I've read post after post stating that the GTX 760 will be significantly faster than the K2000, I can't think of a situation in which I'd take advantage of the added speed.

I do care about 10-bit color since I my current monitors support it and I like the 4K capability of the K2000 as I have my sights set on the new Dell UP2414Q monitors, albeit down the road.

I'd very much appreciate if someone could clarify for me the differences between the K2000 and the GTX 760 as it would relate to my usage (read: no gaming).

Any other thoughts on the system in general would also be helpful as this is my first built system since I was in college (that was a while ago) and I'm pretty blind on the options.

Thanks very much.

- M

mpwolf's gear list:mpwolf's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +21 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow