Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,856Gear list
Like?
What I think about fuji's 23mm 1.4 lens vs. the 18-55
6 months ago

Before i start let me just say that compared to other camera brands, I do understand that the 1.4 lenses are actually a pretty good value, specially at the sale prices. No doubt they are great lenses, including the 23mm 1.4.

But should someone DRULL over a 23mm 1.4? Well, i guess that depends on your SPECIAL needs, and if you actually do "need" it. To make it short, i just came back from the camera store where i bought my XE1, and for the very first time i tried the 23mm 1.4. Don't get me wrong, i really liked the lens, and the construction is definitely top notch. But for $800 dollars, i was actually expecting a lot more Bokeh. Which that does confirm my "personal" theory that for me, it would be best to invest in FF and get a TRUE 23mm focal range instead, wich it would produce much better Bokeh at the same time.

Let me just say that INCREDIBLY, the darn 18-55 lens is pretty pretty freaking awesome! That "kit" lens, was designed by fuji to produce a very darn good Bokeh as well. Comparing the 23 at 1.4 to the 18-55 set to 23mm, like i said, i expected A LOT more Bokeh out of the $749 dollar fuji 23mm. Basically we are only paying for only the extra light going into the camera at 1.4. That would be basically the same idea regarding the $1600 dollar nikon 85 1.4G vs. the $400 85 1.8G.

Basically, now, i would not spend that kind of money on a 23mm (unless) i had plenty of money in my pocket, or if i had a special need for it, or if i did not have the 18-55 and would decide to shoot with the 23mm prime only.

So, if you are a lady or a gentleman that has been (wanting) this lens for a while now, let me just say that I think that you are not missing much if you already have the 18-55 lens. Amazingly the 18-55 lens is already something to be really happy about.

What i can say now is that i will probably upgrade to the future 16-55 2.8, which would make me feel right at home with the extra 2mm at the wide end, plus the fixed 2.8. 18mm to 16mm there is quite a bit of a difference indeed, which is nice. I know because i had the nikon 16-85.

What i am happy about is that the OIS on the 18-55 lens i had IS bad indeed, and Samy's Camera exchanged it with a brand new camera WITH a brand new lens, with brand new warranty, and i have confirmed that the OIS is working the way is supposed to when the switch is set to OFF/ON.

This is BEFORE the firmware, so after i install the latest firmware, now i will be able to tell for sure if this problem is being caused by the firmware itself after loading it, where the OIS works with the switch set to OFF, and does not work when the switch is set to ON

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow