Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mjb2
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
D600 with a new shutter or D610?
7 months ago

Folks - I'm off to Africa in a few weeks and am going to pick up a second body as (1) backup to my 800e and (2) to have a wider-angle lens/camera combo ready to go. I'm either going to get a D600 or a D610 and after the trip this will probably be my travel camera body.

There are several D600s with low shutter counts for sale in the area including a couple that have been back to Nikon for shutter replacements. Given that this is a backup body, I'd be OK spending $1200 on one of these rather than $1900 on a new D610 as long as I'm comfortable that the Nikon shutter replacement fix has really fixed the oil/flakes problem. Here is what Thom Hogan said:

"In the typical repair report I'm seeing for cameras that have the problem Nikon is replacing the entire shutter mechanism. If that's the case with a camera you send in to Nikon, you should be fine after the repair. I've heard of no cases of repeating debris buildup after a shutter replacement."

Do any of you out there in Dpreview forum land have direct experience with a returned D600 with new shutters and can support or refute Thom's statement?

Thanks!

Nikon D600 Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow