Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TQGroup
Contributing MemberPosts: 783Gear list
Like?
4K LCD TV Display Picture IQ
6 months ago

I've been reading, totally fascinated, opinions on the relative merit of some great lenses currently used on the hi-res Nikon (Sony?) D800 / D600 uber MPX sensors. I also habitually read DxOMark and most of the other Professional reviewers...

A good friend has just purchased a Sony 4K 65" LCD TV. This is the highest resolution TV I have ever seen. So here is my question: just what level of IQ is needed to fully make use of this emerging trend in TV quality (ignore, if you will, that 64K LCD panels are under development)?

For example, mounted on a D800 / D600, viewed at a distance of, say, 10 feet (3 metres), will an identical picture shot with a D800 appear any different to one shot with a D600, or even with a D7100 on the above TV?

Or a photo shot with a Sigma 35 F1.4 V one taken with a Nikon 35 F1.8G ED?

In other words, except for computer "pixel peeping", just where is the IQ "separation line" when it comes to hi-resolution TV's?

Should there be some sort of guideline established to define the necessary optimum display capability for the coming flood of 4K TV displays?

Just how useful is DxOMark's "Perceptive MPX" ratings for "sharpness" when it comes to Hi-res TVs or is colour rendering, micro-contrast and bokeh an even bigger issue than naked "MTF sharpness"?

I would appreciate any considered feedback on this issue as I fear that this may cause a future image sensor / lens strategy selection re-think that could lead to an acute case of GAS!

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow